School of Business & Governance
Fifteen years after its foundation, the School of Business and Governance has become a living testament to the ideals of the university and will continue to fulfill its mission to the community. The School of Business and Governance of the Ateneo de Davao University appropriates “sui generis” leadership in business and governance in Mindanao, guided by the University’s vision and mission, and the Spirituality of St. Ignatius of Loyola. It aspires to educate and form students to be ethical and excellent professionals in the creation and equitable distribution of wealth as well as in the good governance of government institutions and civil sectors of the society.
The school aims at providing a dynamic learning environment for responsible and humanistic business education, research, and administration. It strives to be comparable to the best business schools in the world in terms of the quality of its teaching and research. Under its aegis are accountancy, business administration, and graduate business programs as well as support programs in computer literacy, research, and extension offices.
The Accountancy Department aims to produce professional accountants who possess analytical and creative abilities with a broad perspective to think across disciplines, geographical and political boundaries, and with a mastery of today’s technology. It trains and develops students to successfully pass the Certified Public Accountant Licensure Examination. It also prepares students to be specialists who will engage in accountancy work to provide information for decision-makers. The Department enables students to gain a broad perspective, quickness in identifying opportunities, incisiveness in analyzing problems, alertness in responding to situations, and a propensity for reflecting on their experiences to arrive at concrete and viable solutions to problems. It also prepares students to have a full grasp of the professional accountant’s high standards of integrity and objectivity
The Business Management Department’s four-year course prepares the students to handle general management positions with established large and small corporate businesses, public or private or may start their own business. It involves the development of planning, organizing, control, and leadership functions of management.
The Department aims:
(1) to be a catalyst of change in the business community of Southern Mindanao by developing well-equipped graduates who have a deep understanding of the basic concepts, theories, principles, and techniques;
(2) to promote and nurture the sense of entrepreneurship among students as an option for greater business opportunities;
(3) to develop and strengthen the students’ research capabilities;
(4) to expose the students to the fast-changing business environment through seminars, research dissemination, workshops, and immersion programs;
(5) to enhance the students’ capability in the use of quantitative tools in the business to be effective in decision-making; and
(6) to open the sensitivity of students to serve or uplift the way of life of the indigenous peoples and Muslims by sharing with them the business knowledge acquired.
The Finance Department’s four-year course aims to prepare the students through a strong foundation on theory, principles, and concepts, as well as analytical tools and perspectives that will provide a sound and competitive basis for financial decision making. The course will equip the students with skills in investment portfolio management, banking, and other financial services. Graduates can have careers in the financial department of general businesses, investment banking firms, broker-dealer firms, management consulting firms, various departments of commercial banks and other financial institutions, central banks, and international banking institutions. The Department aims:
(1) to develop among the students analytical and creative abilities with a broad perspective to think across disciplines, geographical and political boundaries, and with a master of today’s technology;
(2) to prepare students to be professionals who will engage in financial economics study to provide information for decision-makers and investors;
(3) to train and develop students to successfully pass the Chartered Financial Analyst Exam;
(4) to enable students to gain a broad perspective, quickness in identifying opportunities, incisiveness in analyzing problems, alertness in responding to situations, and a propensity for reflecting on their experiences to arrive at concrete and viable solutions to problems; and
(5) to enable students to have a deep understanding of the high professional ethical standards for finance managers.
The Marketing Department’s four-year course trains the students to join the marketing force of a firm armed with the knowledge of the principles and concepts of marketing, and skills in product development, distribution, sales, and management.
The Department aims:
(1) to develop students’ understanding of marketing concepts and marketing functions as a management process;
(2) to develop among students the analytical and creative abilities with a broad perspective to think across disciplines, geographical and political boundaries, and with a mastery of today’s technology;
(3) to produce students who will understand the underlying disciplines to study effective management of several dimensions of marketing within a firm;
(4) to have a deep understanding of consumer behavior, marketing organization and control, product and pricing policy, consumer marketing and retailing, multinational and international marketing, and marketing strategy formulation;
(5) to develop among students the importance of research output in marketing decision making; and
(6) to develop social responsiveness and good ethical behavior as a marketing practitioner.
BS Entrepreneurship major in Agribusiness is a four-year degree program designed to provide students with technical knowledge in farming, management, production, and marketing of agricultural commodities such as livestock and crops. Students of BS Entrep-Agribusiness Program are taught lessons through classroom lectures, hands-on and demo farming in Magis farm. They also gain experience by having educational trips in various government agencies and private institutions handling agriculture, farms, and other Agribusinesses.
Graduates of a BS Entrepreneurship should be able to: have the orientation and motivation of an entrepreneur; Identify opportunities; prepare business plans; accomplish requirements to start a business; operate and manage a business efficiently and effectively. An entrepreneurship concentration will provide the skills and methods needed to launch a new enterprise, take over an existing business, or be a dynamic manager who can make a dramatic difference to the future of a small business. An entrepreneurship concentration will provide the skills and methods needed to launch a new enterprise, take over an existing business, or be a dynamic manager who can make a dramatic difference to the future of a small business.
The Human Resource Development and Management Department offers Human Resource Management course which aims to prepare the graduates for a career in the field of Human Resource Management in various corporations whether in the manufacturing, marketing and service sectors, or in the different types of industries such as pharmaceutical, semi-conductor, food and beverage, banking industries and other types of organizations.
The Management Accounting Department offers Management Accounting course (previously Accounting Technology course). This is a four-year course that aims to provide students with a strong foundation of knowledge and skills regarding accounting standards and techniques, in order to prepare them for careers as bookkeepers, auditors, and accounting staff.
The Management Accounting Department invests heavily in the formation of analytical and critical corporate accountants, who:
(1) have a sound proficiency in accounting, finance, taxation, business laws, and various business and management disciplines, with a concern for relevant and emerging business and accounting trends and issues;
(2) engage in financial controllership, treasury, and business leadership careers which will provide information for decision-makers and key stakeholders;
(3) possess a broad perspective, a quickness in identifying opportunities, an incisiveness in analyzing problems, alertness in responding to situations, and a propensity for reflecting on their experiences to arrive at concrete and viable solutions to problems, and;
(4) embody within them high ideals of their chosen career’s code of ethics.
The four-year Public Management course aims to develop public servants with the required knowledge, values, and skills to serve as professionals in government and society. BPM prepares its graduates for: technical and administrative positions in the government including the Foreign Service and civil society; Law School; and executive policy-making positions in government and in civil society organizations. Career opportunities are as follows: Local and State Government, Officers and Consulates and Embassies, International Relations, Professional Researches, Development Managers/Executives for NGOs/NPOs, Project Managers, Consultant for LGUs, Urban Planner.
School of Education
The School of Education (SOE) was created after the BOT approval on 19 May 2012. The SOE was the offshoot of the re-organization of the School of Arts and Sciences. The education program used to be a small department under the Social Sciences and Education Division.
School of Engineering & Architecture
The Engineering and Architecture Division of the Ateneo de Davao University was created in response to the growing needs of the time. The first technology course offered was chemical engineering which was originally under the Natural Science and Mathematics Division in the School Year 1978-79.
At the start of the School Year 1983-84, two engineering programs were added and the first batch of Civil and Electrical Engineering students was accepted. The mechanical engineering program was added and was first offered in the school year 1985-1986. The following academic year 1986-87, an industrial engineering program was opened. Because of the growing number of engineering students, the Engineering Division was then created to supervise the mentioned programs in 1987.
Times had been changing and the demands for varied engineering expertise are also increasing. For this reason, other programs relevant to the times were opened: electronics and communications engineering in 1997 and architecture in 1998. In SY 2010-2011, the Board of Trustees approved the creation of the School of Engineering and Architecture and appointed its first dean, Dr. Randell U. Espina.
Ateneo de Davao University Architecture graduates will:
- Excel in the corresponding technical competencies expected for the following fields of specialization:
- Exhibit character and decision making skills embodying professionalism and ethical behavior
- Apply knowledge and skills to design and implement creative and sustainable solutions
- Seek new knowledge by engaging in industry-relevant research using updated and appropriate technology
- Engage in efforts towards personal and professional growth in the context of life-long learning.
- Exhibit discerning leadership marked by clear communication and effective collaboration.
- Live out Filipino and Christian values by the ethical practice of their professional expertise in the pursuit of the common good.
Engineering is the process in which knowledge gained by study, experience, and practice is applied with judgment to develop ways to utilize, economically, the materials and forces of nature. An engineer tries to create cost-effective solutions to practical problems by applying his learned scientific knowledge and methodologies, in the service and for the benefit of humanity.
The department offers Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Robotics Engineering.
School of Nursing
In the past, the Ateneo de Davao University offered a college degree program in Nursing in consortium with other institutions in Davao City. In time, the program was passed on to the other members of the consortium. Yet, the Ateneo maintained its graduate nursing program through the years. The reopening of the college nursing program completes the academic nursing program at the University.
The establishment of the Nursing Program is in pursuit of the mission of the university itself: to be of service to the community by providing high-quality education in the tradition of Jesuit education efforts over the centuries and all over the world. Characteristically, the program centers on the total formation of students, imparting not only the technical skills required by the nursing profession but also critical communication and computer skills, which are vital in today’s environment. Above all, the program focuses on the value formation of the student. The nursing profession is, after all, a service profession. Contextualizing this service career within one’s personal development and its impact on the care receivers and the community at large is an important concern of the program. The program relates, in a very direct way, to the ideals presented to all Ateneo de Davao University students: to be men and women for others.
All Ateneo nursing students begin with the two-year Associate in Health Science Education (AHSE), a program promulgated by the Commission on Higher Education. A preparatory course, the AHSE leads up to another two-year program, the completion of which earns for the students a degree of Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Students register for professional nursing courses until they finish the prescribed number of units in nursing theories and render the required hours in Related Learning Experience.