International Student FAQ

For Non-Filipino/ International Students

Q: Where can I get information on courses?
A: Ateneo de Davao University has a wide range of courses at various levels – Bachelors, Masters, and PhD. For information please browse the programs offered in undergraduate and graduate levels.

Q: How do I apply?
A: We have tried to make the application process as comprehensive and simple as possible for international students. To apply now, or for further information, click here.

Q: What are the entry requirements?
A: Applicants should meet our academic requirements and English language requirements. Applicants should take the Ateneo College Admission Test (ACAT). Students who do not meet our English language requirements may wish to join one of our English language non-degree program (on-audit).

Q: Can I take the exam without going to the Philippines?
A: No. The Ateneo College Admission Test (ACAT) is conducted in the University, so you have to come to Davao City in order to take the test.

Q: How do I get a visa?
A: Students from many countries require a visa to study in the Philippines. For more information on visas please visit the Philippine Bureau of Immigration website. Some information may be helpful if you download the International Student Application form.

Q: How long does it take to get a student visa?
A: It takes approximately three (3) months to process a student visa specified as 9(f) under the Philippine Immigration Act. Applicants are advised to submit their requirements on the following dates: January 15 for enrolment in the first semester; June 30 for enrolment in the second semester; September 15 for summer enrolment.

Q: If I am below 18 years old, am I required to have a student visa?
A: No, you are not required to get a student visa. An applicant who is below 18 years old will have to get a Special Study Permit (SSP) from the Philippine Bureau of Immigration. It takes less than a week to get an SSP.

Q: How do I get a Special Study Permit (SSP)?
A: Please see the requirements here or see the Immigration Bureau.

Q: Do I need to get a student visa if I enroll in a non-degree seeking program?
A: No, you do not need a student visa if you register in a non-degree seeking program. However, you need a Special Study Permit. Please see the requirements here or see the Immigration Bureau.

The Notice of Acceptance (NOA)
The Ateneo de Davao University is a registered institution with the Philippine Bureau of Immigration and Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and is authorized to issue a Notice of Acceptance (NOA) to international applicants intending to study here. The university has been awarded an autonomous status by the CHED, has an institutional accreditation from PAASCU. The NOA will provide the visa officer with relevant information with regard to your intended studies and the basis on which the offer has been made. Please check that the information is correct before submitting your application to the Philippine Immigration Bureau or the Philippine Embassy.

It is important that when you apply for your visa you do so using only the NOA of the institution you intend to study with. Your visa when issued will be linked to the institution, and you are not allowed to change institutions either before arrival or when in the Philippine without first applying for a new visa through Immigration Bureau.

The NOA will remain valid for six months from the date of issue, if you do not apply for a visa before it expires or you choose to defer you will need to request a new one.

Financial Requirements
You will be required to show that you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and live in the Philippines.

For a student coming to study a one year program at the university you will need to show a bank certification amounting to US$2,500 plus US$2,100 for cost of living.

For students already in the Philippines, information on how to extend your visa will be available at the Bureau of Immigration.

Q: What are the tuition fees?
A: Tuition and fees differ according to the course program you study and your fee status. When you apply we will assess your fee status. If you are applying from outside the Philippines you will probably pay the international fee. The standard fees for June 2013 entry approximate to US$2,500. The fee for your course will be confirmed after registration.

Q: What is the cost of living?
A: We advise students to budget a minimum of US$2,100 annually for undergraduate and postgraduate study, in addition to tuition fees. This amount should cover accommodation, food, entertainment, transport, books, insurance, laundry etc. Some students will require more than this amount, some less – much depends on lifestyle.

Q: Is there a student residence hall or student dormitory in-campus?
A: No. There are no in-campus housing. Off campus housing is provided by private institutions near the campus.

Q: What are the semester dates?
A: You can view all our semester and vacation dates in the published school calendar so you can plan your flights well in advance. Please make every effort to arrive for the Student Orientation. Usually the first semester (first term) starts at June and ends in October, the second semester (second term) starts at November and ends in March. Summer school will be April and May.

If you have a question that is not answered above please contact us:

Admission and Aid Office
Ateneo de Davao University
E. Jacinto St., 8016 Davao City
Tel +63 82 221.2411 local 8302/ 8303
Tel in US +1-415-251-3704
Fax +63 82 226.4116

University’s policy regarding the H1N1 (Influenza A) Swine Flu virus

We realize that the Swine Flu virus will be a concern to many of our students joining us from overseas. Kindly comply the medical lab requirements necessary for all international students by the University’s Integrated Health Services.